Set the Color of Clothes Before Washing. Watch as public TV’s Graham Haley shows you an inexpensive method for setting the color in new fabrics before you wash.
In our PBS television show “Haley’s Hints,” Haley teaches a variety of useful tips and tricks for managing household chores effectively. One particularly helpful hint she shares involves setting the color of clothes before washing them.When it comes to doing laundry, it’s essential to take precautions to prevent colors from bleeding and damaging other garments. Nobody wants to end up with a load of clothes that have turned an unappealing shade due to color transfer!
To set the color of clothes before washing, Haley suggests the following steps:
1. Sort your laundry: Start by separating your laundry into different piles based on color. Keep whites, lights, and darks separate to minimize the risk of color bleeding.
2. Check the care labels: Before proceeding, make sure to read the care labels on each garment. Some materials may require specific washing instructions or may not be suitable for this method.
3. Prepare a vinegar solution: In a basin, sink, or large container, mix one cup of white vinegar with enough cold water to submerge your clothes. Vinegar helps to set the color and prevent bleeding.
4. Submerge the clothes: Place your colored items into the vinegar solution, ensuring they are completely submerged. Gently agitate the clothes in the mixture to allow the vinegar to penetrate the fibers.
5. Soak for 30 minutes: Let the clothes soak for about 30 minutes. This timeframe allows the vinegar to work its magic and helps lock in the color.
6. Rinse thoroughly: After the soaking period, remove the clothes from the vinegar solution and rinse them thoroughly with cold water. Be sure to rinse each piece until the water runs clear, indicating that any excess dye has been removed.
7. Proceed with regular washing: Once the initial color-setting process is complete, proceed with washing your clothes as usual. Follow the care label instructions, using an appropriate detergent and selecting the correct water temperature for the fabric.
By following these steps, you can effectively set the color of your clothes before washing, minimizing the risk of color bleeding and preserving the vibrancy of your garments. Haley’s hint is a simple yet effective way to ensure your laundry stays looking fresh and colorful for longer.