Dealing with Skunks. Top Ten Garden Hints – No 4 Dealing with Skunks / Garden Rx shows you the best way to get rid of your skunk problem without cages or traps.
Skunks can be a nuisance when they invade your garden or property. In the above video GardenRx host Loren Nancarrow shows you an easy and clever trick for getting rid of skunks using a little baking flour. Of course we’re looking to get rid of skunks in as humane and effective manner, here are some additional suggestions you can try:
1. Remove attractants: Skunks are often attracted to food sources such as garbage, pet food, or fallen fruits. Make sure to secure all potential food sources and eliminate any attractants that may be luring them to your property.
2. Fencing: Installing sturdy fencing around the perimeter of your property can be an effective deterrent for skunks. Use galvanized hardware cloth with small mesh openings buried at least a foot below ground to prevent them from digging under the fence.
3. Seal entry points: Skunks may enter crawl spaces, decks, or sheds if there are openings. Inspect your property for any potential entry points and make sure to seal them off to prevent skunks from gaining access.
4. Motion-detector lights and sound: Skunks are nocturnal creatures, so installing motion-activated lights can startle them and discourage them from inhabiting your property. Additionally, using devices that emit high-frequency sounds designed to repel skunks can also be effective in deterring them.
5. Habitat modification: Skunks prefer areas with ample cover, such as overgrown vegetation or piles of debris. Keeping your yard tidy and well-maintained can discourage skunks from taking up residence.
6. Skunk repellents: There are commercial repellents available that claim to deter skunks. These repellents often contain natural ingredients such as predator urine or hot pepper. However, their effectiveness can vary, and it’s important to follow the instructions carefully.
7. Seek professional assistance: If your skunk problem persists or if you’re unsure how to handle the situation, it may be best to seek help from professional wildlife control services. These experts have the knowledge and experience to safely and effectively remove skunks from your property.
Remember, it is always important to handle skunk removal in a humane manner while also considering the safety of both yourself and the skunk.