Vacuum Pack Bulky Storage Items to Save Space with this handy hack to remove the air from items such as pillows and sheets for flatter, space-saving storage.
If you’re struggling to find space in your home due to bulky storage items, such as bedding, pillows, or clothing, vacuum packing is a fantastic solution. With the help of a vacuum cleaner and some bags or storage containers designed for this purpose, you can effectively compress these items and reclaim valuable space. Here’s how:
1. Gather your items: Start by gathering the bulky items you want to store. This can include blankets, comforters, winter coats, pillows, and any other soft items that take up a lot of space.
2. Choose the right bags or containers: Look for vacuum storage bags or containers specifically designed for storing bulky items. These are airtight and have valves that allow you to extract air using a vacuum cleaner.
3. Prepare the items: Before packing, ensure that the items are clean, dry, and folded neatly. This will make the compression process easier and protect your items from moisture or odors while in storage.
4. Load the bags or containers: Carefully place your items inside the bags or containers, making sure not to overfill them. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for the recommended maximum load.
5. Seal the bags or containers: Zip the bags closed or close the lids tightly, ensuring a secure seal. For bags, make sure the zipper is completely closed, and for containers, check that the lids are properly snapped shut.
6. Extract the air: Locate the one-way valve on the vacuum storage bag or container. Connect the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner to the valve and turn it on. The vacuum’s suction will start extracting the air from the bag or container, causing it to compress.
7. Monitor the compression: Keep an eye on the items being compressed to prevent any overloading or damage. You can periodically pause the vacuuming process to adjust the items if necessary.
8. Store the compressed items: Once the bags or containers are fully compressed, quickly seal the valve to maintain the vacuum. Now, your bulky items are ready to be stored.
9. Label and organize: To easily locate your compressed items later, label each bag or container with its contents. Additionally, make a list or create a digital inventory to keep track of what you’ve stored.
10. Store in the right location: Find a suitable space to store your compressed items, such as closets, under the bed, or in a designated storage area. Avoid placing them in damp or humid areas to prevent potential damage. By vacuum packing your bulky storage items, you’ll save a significant amount of space while also protecting them from dust, moisture, and pests.
This organization hack is especially valuable for seasonal items that are only used periodically. Enjoy your newfound space and the convenience of easy access to your belongings.